Sunday, December 2, 2012

Just one of those weeks

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you just want to give up and throw the towel in? Well that was my week.


The rule in the house is the boys get up, get dressed and come out to eat breakfast. Well that never works in the morning and in stead of bed time wars that others experience we have morning wars. John is up and out the door to work before the boys get up, so it's just mommy vs. the kids with these wars.

Trey gets up and goes straight for the candy. No matter where we hide it he always finds it. Trey refuses to do anything else until he has candy in his hand. First round of fights start with trying to reward him with candy for following the direction instead of giving in and letting him have it just to get the morning moving along.

I spend twenty minuets every morning struggling to get him dressed, fed and to get teeth brushed. When that is complete they normally get to have the tv on to watch cartoons. This week he just pushed me over the edge with hiding in the closets, continually changing clothes, hiding things that he is not supposed to have (like the laser pointer that we use to play with the dog. He took it to school and decided to play with it on the bus home. HUGE HUGE mistake) coloring on the walls and in the van on the doors, to just plain old not listing and thinking every thing is a game.



Then we have my Tyman. Urg he pushes buttons way more then normal for an 8 year old child. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving we noticed that Tyler forged my signature on his home work. After grounding him and explaining that forgery is a big no-no and he could be talked to by the police, we thought we had the issue settled. Well then on Monday I went to sign his agenda like I always do and notice that he signed his case manager's signature to his agenda. I couldn't take it any more. I made Tyler stay at home (I didn't have to work until late evening when John would be home) do his home work, and then literally look at the wall all day long. During the course of the day he stated that he hated me (which I know most children say at least once) he wanted a new mommy and it went on and on. After crying my eyes out I ignored him for the whole day. Unfortunately ( I say that because I always want to talk to my children and have them talk back in a normal conversation) I think it worked. Tyler woke up on Tuesday and apologized to me and with out being prompted he explained what he did and why he was wrong. If you have ever met Tyler you also know that he loves to talk way more than his momma. This has become an issue because no one can get a word in edge wise and nothing really gets talked about because we just simply can't talk. Tyler's talking in the morning is more in the way of little noises and phrases that just...I don't know, first thing in the morning gets annoying after awhile and you really really want to blurt out SHUT UP. How ever shut up is not a phrase aloud in my house by any one under the age of 18 ( trust me if I don't get on you about this then the kids will) so I have started going to my bathroom and not coming out until the house is quite.

Needless to say this week ended the way that the week has started. This week as taught me how weak I am as a parent but yet how strong I am as well. I think that we will have to start new routines in the morning with a new reward system just to get them back in to the way things should be. I have also learned that even though something as a parent doesn't seem right, or goes against the way you would like to bring your child(ren) up, that sometimes trusting your gut isn't always a bad thing. Being a parent isn't always about getting them every thing they want, or doing everything they want to do, or being the coolest amongst friends. Being a parent is very very stressful but yet rewarding job out there. If you can teach a child to love unconditionally, treat people/things with the utmost respect and  always always do the right thing, then you are a pretty dang good parent in my book.

Here's to a new week and new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment